Five Steps that California Workplace Harassment Victims Should Do

Five Steps that California Workplace Harassment Victims Should Do

Despite the fact that sexual harassment in the workplace is not a new topic in the employment sector, still some employees are not aware of the steps they need to do when they experience workplace harassment.

If you believe that you have experienced sexual harassment by your employer, supervisor, or co-employee, it is vital for you to learn the simple yet effective steps to take in order to properly address the issue. The following are the suggested tips for California employees who are victims of sexual harassment:

1. Recognize the harassment practices

Under the law, any unwelcome behavior towards you because of your gender or sex is considered as sexual harassment.

2. Write the details of the incident


It is highly suggested for workplace harassment victims to write down the details of the incident. The documented notes may serve as evidence when pursuing a sexual harassment claim. Make sure to write down the names of the people who witnessed the incident, and the date and time of the harassment act/s.

3. Notify the harasser that the act is unwelcome


As much as possible, be assertive by telling the harasser that he or she must stop. Additionally, victims should also inform their employers of the incident. Under the law, victims need to notify their employers about the incident before they can file a sexual harassment complaint.

4. Inform the human resource department


Once an employee experiences sexual harassment, it is advised for him or her to inform the human resource department of his or her company. By doing this, the human resource representative may become a mediator of the incident.

Five Steps that California Workplace Harassment Victims Should Do

5.  Contact a lawyer

 In case that the victim has done all necessary steps to handle the situation but still the unwelcome practices of the harasser continue, he or she should consult with a California employment lawyer. The attorney can help the victim to file a formal complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and/or Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).