Losing a job is just one painful experience. Starting your career over, adjusting to new people and your workplace is not an easy thing to do. That is why people would love to stay in their current job for as long as they could. However, it is much more difficult to lose your job for the wrong or unjustifiable reasons. If you experienced this, don’t worry for there is something that you can do when you get wrongfully terminated.
Here is a list of things you should do should you get wrongfully terminated by your employer:
- Know the state of your employment. Are you working in an “at will” state or not? At-will employees can be terminated by their employer at any time. However, you can never be terminated on the basis of discrimination. Know your rights even if you’re just an “at will” employee to prevent being wrongfully terminated.
- Check your employment contract. The details of your employment are stipulated in the contract. Review your employment contract and understand everything that is in it.
- Have everything documented. Write down everything that happened when you employer terminated you from your job position. Come up with a timely report for future reference and a timeline including everything that occurred in your termination. You can use such when you press for charges and claim for damages.
- Prove that you were wrongfully terminated. Since you have everything documented about your work and how you were terminated, you can use this later should you file a case. When you have it ready, look out for instances of discrimination, retaliation, character defamation and more. You can use these later on to bolster the case you are filing, ensuring your win.
- File your complaint. You can turn to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and file the complaint to them. They will then assess your complaint to see if there is probable cause. Then they will file the case to respective courts where these will be heard.
- Hiring a California wrongful termination lawyer. A good lawyer will provide you will all the right insights on how you should file your complaint and how it should be handled. He will also guide you through the complex processes of dealing with your case.
Getting through a legal battle will sure be difficult. But if you have the right support group, you’d be able to get through this difficult process effortlessly. Just follow these tips and we’re sure you are going to be fine.